Now Launching: Pathways to Play!

December 22, 2016

It was almost four years ago that I became a mom.  And while I had plenty of experience as a pediatric physical therapist under my belt, motherhood completely changed my perspective on my job, including how I educate parents, and sometimes how I recommend treatment!  No experience in the medical world, no childcare experience, compared to the personal, emotional roller coaster I experienced as a new parent, carrying the full weight of responsibility for the health and well being of a tiny, fragile life.  I worried about things I swore I would never worry about and broke rules I swore I would never break! My empathy shot through the roof when I returned to work after my maternity leave, meeting children and parents and seeing them through a new set of eyes.


I can't tell you how many parents I have met over the years who walk into our practice absolutely terrified of the physical therapy referral they've been given for their precious, new baby (commonly for torticollis or a motor delay).  With new empathy on hand, I've hugged many a mom as I've tried to reassure them the road ahead of them isn't as daunting or scary as they might think.  And I can't tell you how many times, after a few sessions of education and encouragement, I've had those same, reassured parents marvel, "I didn't know ANY of this stuff about development!  Why doesn't anyone teach us this??"




It is so rewarding to encourage, educate, and empower parents to maximize their children's developmental potential, and now after years of dreaming, Good Beginnings to excited to offer support and educational groups for new parents-- Pathways to Play. No diagnosis or referral required. All are welcome!

The mission of Pathways to Play is to provide a comfortable environment where families can bond and support one another, while facilitating ways for families to manage time and stress while caring for your new baby. Sessions will provide a hands-on, fun play experience for you and your baby while providing information on developmental milestones and recommendations for appropriate and affordable toys and activities. It also allows vital time to connect with other parents in the same stage of life, and extended time with health professionals not always available during busy well-checks and appointments.  Groups will be organized by the age of your infant, so topics will be catered specifically to your stage of development.

We expect to launch our first group in January 2017-- if you are interested and looking for more information, click here, or get in touch with us at info@gbtherapy.org! We can't wait to have you join us on this adventure!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe